What would you do if you were trying to be healthy yet craving brownies at the same time?
A) Announce today a cheat day and eat to your heart’s content
B) Allow your will power to keep the craving under control
C) Find a balance that lets you do both
Had this been a few months ago, I would have happily gone for Option A .. But as it wasn’t too long ago that I wrote about ‘Healthy Habits’, I was forced to move on and look at the other two options … The craving is way too strong to even consider Option B so we are only left with one choice … Option C … But how does one do that?
Would you believe me if I told you the brownie you are staring at right now is healthy? It is … kinda! What else would you call a recipe that includes no butter AT ALL .. Healthy right? 😀 .. Great! So now that we have that settled, let’s move on to the star of the show .. Greek Yogurt! It may sound incredibly odd but the result was a perfectly moist fudgy brownie! YUMMM!!! Wait, there’s more good news for those of you who love to lick the batter off the bowl … The recipe includes no eggs either which means there’s no stopping you now … Wondering what the recipe does include then?
I found the original recipe on http://www.backforseconds.com. But I have re-written it below in my own way.
All Purpose flour: 3/4 cups
Caster sugar: 3/4 cups
Light brown sugar: 1/4 cup
Unsweetened cocoa powder: 1/2 cup
Greek yogurt: 1 and 1/4 cup
Vanilla essence: 1 tsp
Semi-sweet chocolate chips: 1/3 cup (plus more to sprinkle on top)
Vegetable oil: 2 tbsps
- Preheat your oven at 180 degrees Celsius. Grease an 8 x 8 inch square cake tin. Set aside.
- In a bowl, melt the chocolate chips along with the vegetable oil for 30 seconds. Stir the mixture and re-heat for another few seconds if your chocolate chips have not melted completely. Allow the mixture to cool afterwards.
- Add the greek yogurt to the cooled chocolate mixture and whisk until combined.
- In a separate bowl, sift and add all the dry ingredients together i.e. all purpose flour, caster sugar, light brown sugar and cocoa powder. Mix together with a spoon.
- Add the chocolate mixture to the dry ingredients bowl and fold the batter with the help of a spatula until all the ingredients are well-combined. The batter will be on the thicker side.
- Transfer the batter to your greased square tin. Spread evenly with the help of a spatula. Sprinkle some more chocolate chips on top.
- Allow the brownies to bake at 180 degrees Celsius for approximately 20 minutes until a skewer inserted in the center comes out a little moist.
- Transfer the brownies to a wire rack and allow to cool completely before cutting.
Ta-daaa! That was pretty quick, easy and immensely satisfying right?
Until the next post, let’s keep it strictly well-balanced! 😀