Hmmm, seems like it has been a while since I shared my baking adventures with you. Well, all of that is about to change with today’s post. All I can and will say before jumping to the recipe is that I hope you are celebrating ‘cheat day’ today as well coz these Ferrero Rocher Cupcakes with Nutella Frosting are impossible to resist! Enough said, time to jump straight to the recipe and let the picture do all the talking … *nom nom* …
The original recipe belongs to Cupcakes, Cookies & Cardio. But I have re-written in my own way and tweaked it a little bit to suit my own taste buds! Suggest you do the same. 🙂
Ingredients for the cupcake:
All Purpose Flour: 1 and 1/2 cups
Caster Sugar: 1/2 cup (original recipe said 1 and 1/2 cups but I thought the ferrero rocher and nutella frosting would make it sweet enough)
Cocoa Powder (unsweetened): 3/4 cups
Baking Powder: 1 and 1/2 tsp
Bicarbonate Soda: 3/4 tsp
Vegetable Oil: 3 tbsp
Almond Milk: 3/4 cup (original recipe used same amount of buttermilk instead)
Water: 3/4 cup
Vanilla Essence: 1 tsp
Ferrero Rocher chocolates: one for each cupcake
Ingredients for the Nutella Frosting:
Unsalted Butter (at room temperature): 226 grams
Nutella: 3/4 cups
Icing Sugar: 1/2 cup (original recipe used 3/4 cup but I thought that would make it too sweet)
Vanilla Essence: 2 tsp
Milk: 3 – 4 tbsp (I actually just used 1 tablespoon as I wanted stiff peaks for the frosting)
Method for the Cupcakes:
- Pre-heat your oven to 180 degrees C. Line your baking tray with cupcake cases and set aside.
- In a bowl, sift and mix together all the dry ingredients i.e. flour, baking powder, bicarbonate soda and cocoa powder.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the unsalted butter and caster sugar until it turns light and fluffy. Add the eggs (one at a time), followed by vanilla essence and the remaining wet ingredients i.e. vegetable oil, almond milk, and water. Mix well until all ingredients are well-combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture a little at a time, and fold with the help of a spatula.
- Add 1 tbsp of the batter in your cupcake case. Place a ferrero rocher chocolate in the centre of the cupcake case. Add another tablespoon of the batter over the ferrero rocher chocolate making sure it is completely covered. (I tried different ways of baking these and this method works the best).
- Repeat the above step for all the remaining cupcakes.
- Bake the cupcakes in your pre-heated oven at 180 degrees C for approximately 15 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the cupcake comes out clean.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool completely before frosting.
Method for the Frosting:
- In a bowl, add the unsalted butter and whisk with the help of a handheld or stand-mixer for approximately 5 minutes or until the butter turns light and fluffy.
- Add the icing sugar, a little at a time and continue to mix.
- Add the nutella, vanilla essence and milk and give the frosting one final mix.
- Add the frosting to a piping bag with your favourite tip, and frost the cooled cupcakes.
- Now have your camera ready to take lots of pics for your various social media channels.
Important tip: Do not decide to weigh yourself after having these divine cupcakes … Just saying! 😀
Until the next post, Let’s Keep it Strictly Lighthearted!