When was the last time you drank milk? Major eye roll for the one’s who reply saying ‘once a day everyday!‘. I’ve always been the worst when it comes to drinking milk. It wasn’t until this whole healthy phase dawned upon me 2 months ago that I started to drink it at least a few times during the week. But I know how hard it can be to develop a taste for something that has been missing in your life for so long. Not to worry though, coz today I have the perfect excuse to get you started AND there will be no extra glasses or cups to wash afterwards either … how cool is that?!
I discovered an amazing recipe for ‘Milk & Cookie Shots’ over the weekend! It might sound long-winded but is fairly straightforward and simple to follow. Let’s get right to it then, shall we?
Recipe as follows:
Serving: Makes approximately 12 cookie cups as shown in the pic
Ingredients for the cookie dough:
All Purpose Flour: 2 cups
Unsalted Butter (at room temperature): 200 grams
Caster Sugar: 1/3 cup
Dark Brown Sugar (packed): 1/2 cup
Egg Yolk: 1
Vanilla Essence: 1 tsp
Mini chocolate chips: 1 cup
Other ingredients you will need:
Candy Melts (or I just used Aero Bubbles chocolate): as required
Sprinkles: to decorate
Method to prepare the cookie dough:
- Grease your baking cups/moulds. I used baking tea cups for this one as shown in the tutorial pic below. Set aside
- In a bowl, whisk the unsalted butter together with caster and dark brown sugar until well-combined.
- Add the egg yolk, followed by vanilla essence and whisk again.
- Add the all purpose flour followed by mini chocolate chips and beat the mixture one final time until all the ingredients are well-combined.
Method to assemble the cookie cups:
- Take a small dough ball and press it firmly on the base of the cup so it flattens on the base and comes up on the sides. Use more dough if necessary to make sure all the sides of the cup are covered. Just make sure it is not too thick as it will rise slightly during the baking process. Repeat this process for all the cookie cups.
- Refrigerate the cookie cups for at least 30 minutes before baking.
Method to bake the cookie cups:
- Pre-heat your oven to 175 degrees celsius.
- Place either a ball of parchment paper or something heavier (that will not burn) on the base of the cookie cup so that the dough does not rise too much while baking.
- Bake the cookie cups in your pre-heated oven for approximately 15-20 minutes or until it forms a nice golden brown colour
- Allow the cookie cups to cool completely before removing them from the mould.
- Once the cookie cups are at room temperature, brush the inside of the cookie cups with melted chocolate. Allow the chocolate to dry up.
Note: This step is necessary to make sure the cookie cup does not go soggy once the milk is added. So make sure all the sides are covered properly with chocolate
Method to decorate the cookie cups:
- Dip the top of the cookie cup in your melted chocolate.
- Dip the cookie cup in a bowl of sprinkles
- Pour the milk of your choice to the cookie cups
I might as well add, the proper way to enjoy these it is to take a small sip of milk first followed by a small bite (if possible 😀) of the cookie cup and so forth. Before you know it, you’ll be on your second cup of milk already! Milk has never tasted so good before!
Until the next post, Let’s Keep it Strictly Lighthearted!